Hurricane conditions are likely within 24-36 hours
- Listen to a battery-operated radio or television for reports.
- Check emergency supplies.
- Fuel car.
- Bring items like lawn furniture, toys and garden tools indoors. Fasten or anchor down things that you can’t bring indoors.
- Closing and board up windows.
- Remove outside antennas.
- Turn refrigerator and freezer to coldest settings.
- Open refrigerator only when absolutely necessary and close quickly.
- Store drinking water in clean bathtubs, jugs, bottles and cooking utensils. Get as much out as you can.
- Store valuables and personal papers in a waterproof container on the highest level of your home. If these can be copied to a portable external drive, you can bring it with you, should you need to leave.
- Review evacuation plan.
- Moor boats securely or move to a designated safe places. Use rope or chain to secure boat to trailer. Use tie-downs to anchor trailer to the ground or house.
Hurricane conditions are expected in 24 hours or less.
- Listen constantly to a battery-operated radio or television for official instructions.
- If in a mobile home, check tie-downs and evacuate immediately.
- Stay out of elevators.